- Tweet (n): a post made on the Twitter online message service.
- Social Media (n): forms of electronic communication through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content.
- Bromance (n): a close nonsexual friendship between men.
- Cougar (n): a middle-aged woman seeking a romantic relationship with a younger man
- Frankenfood (n): genetically modified food.
- Doughnut hole (n): a small ball-shaped doughnut:it’s 9.30 on a wintry Saturday morning, and we’re sipping coffee and eating doughnut holes.
- Locavore (n): a person whose diet consists only or principally of locally grown or produced food.
- Bibimbap (n): a Korean dish consisting of rice topped with sautéed vegetables, chilli paste, and beef or other meat, sometimes with the addition of a raw or fried egg.
- Red velvet cake (n): a rich chocolate-flavored sponge cake with a distinctive reddish color, typically with layers of butter-cream or cream cheese icing.
- Crowdsourcing (n): the practice of obtaining needed services, ideas, or content by soliciting contributions from a large group of people and especially from the online community.
Saturday, October 6, 2012
10 New Words that are OFFICIALLY English
Every year, month, even day it seems like words are being added to the English language. The 3rd Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary should be released around 2037 and contain over 900,000 entries. Here are 10 new words that can now be found as part of the Oxford English Dictionary and Merriam-Webster's Dictionary, two of the leading English authorities.